I admit I'm cheating. It's Monday night. I just know I will not be anywhere near my computer for a few days, so I'm posting ahead of time.
I spend a lot of time in my truck. I commute one hour each way to work, 3 days a week. And then there is time spent driving the kids to school on the days I am home, running errands, etc. I put about 20,000 miles a year on my truck. Yup, I send a lot of time in there. Which means I also do a lot of thinking. And singing. And talking on my cool pink razor phone. This Tuesdays's Ten? Ten things I think about while driving.
1. Oh shit, it's Monday morning and I'm out of gas again. How does that always happen? Monday mornings are never easy, and my f**ing on-board computer beeps at me when I get to 50 miles to empty and then every few torturous miles until you fill up. BEEP~! Oh, go f* yourself. The gas station is around the road. BEEP! Christ. It's Monday, give me a break.
2. Ring! Oh crap, it's the preschool. I forgot again to call them to tell them Dylan won't be on the bus. It's almost comical. Well, maybe not for the preschool. I do remember to drop pickup notes into Dylan's backpack so I can pick him up at noon at school on my home days. I almost ALWAYS forget to call the preschool to tell them I have him. You'd think by May I'd get the hang of this.
3. Oh jeesh. I forgot to make an appointment for _____. I now keep a pocket sized appointment book that goes EVERYWHERE with me. I was forgetting way too many things. Hello? Mrs. H? Did you remember Morgan and Dylan had dental checkups today? Ummmm... not until you just called! I wisely use my time stuck in the truck to make all of my appointments. I am a Jersey girl - I can write appointments into my calendar while sailing down the road doing 60 mph. (Okay, Mom, I sometimes wait for red lights to write them in.)
4. I wonder what Mom and Dad are making for dinner tonight. I almost always call my Mom when I'm leaving work... which coincides when she's usually making dinner. She's amazing, she can almost always talk and cook at the same time. I tried this once at home and forgot eggs in the pancakes. I couldn't figure out why they kept falling apart. Then again, I figure it's probably to better to torture her at dinner time, as she's really not a morning person and calling her at 8am really isn't all that nice.
5. I wonder what Mike can whip up for dinner tonight. Which is usually followed by a call to one of the many convient numbers stored in my phone book. Would you like pizza from the Pizza Place, Franks, or Chinese food tonight?
6. I have to find some new songs for my iPod. My running playlist needs some fresh music. It probably doesn't help that I have them also burned onto a disc and inserted into one of the 6 CD slots in my dash. Isn't it amazing how the player sucks them and can figure out which one to spit back out if you ask for it???
7. I never thought I'd like NPR radio. I'm a jamming kind of girl. If a good song comes on, I turn it up fairly loud. I hated talk radio. Then I found a NPR station out of New York that I can get in my town. I love the stories. I love hearing weather updates for the Albany region. It reminds me of all the time we spent camping in Lake George in the adirondacks. The stories are fresh, interesting perspectives from the MSNBC stuff we hear all the time.
8. Sh*t. I'm out of gas again. I drive a truck, I can't have my cake and eat it too. But I can mildly complain. At least if I have a head on with a deer or a farm tractor, I will most likely unbuckle and walk away. I will NEVER. EVER. drive a compact death trap. EVER. 'Nuff said.
9. Why is it that Mike takes my truck whenever it's convient, but I can never take his? Seriously, I asked him the other day and he laughed. Why would you want to take mine? Hmmm... maybe for a change? You can go from Crew cab dually diesel to Harley... I go from Explorer to.... oh yeah. Explorer. I can say this because he never reads my blog. Nice. Well, he does if I ask him to. But it's not nearly as interesting as the DieselStop.com. Yes, there is such a place. Go look if you don't believe me.
10. Hmmm... I wonder what the guy in that Porsche looks like.... COME ON. We all look. It's life. It's fun to look. And guys, if you see almost middle-aged girls running on the side of the road, please beep.
Monday, May 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You crack me up! :-)
Julie and I are ahead of the game tonight too. Probably to make up for being so late last week ;-)
~cat
I absolutely adore you and your writing! I was rolling over here.
That computer would get turned off!
Mine beeps at 16 miles to empty though and I have actually run out once like four feet from the gas pump!
Post a Comment