Saturday, May 26, 2007

The impromptu camping night

I've been with my Firm for 10 years, and they give anniversary gifts. You get to choose from things like a Tiffany bracelet, a nice watch, a REALLY nice pen, etc. One of the items on the list was a tent. A six person tent. Hmmmm.... while it may seem a strange choice given our 35' trailer parked in the yard, it seemed perfect. Mike and I tent camped while we were dating, and up until we had kids. Suddenly, it was just too difficult to manage. And while I completely enjoy our trailer, I wanted the kids to tent camp as well. I picked up Dylan from school on Friday at noon, and upon our return home there was a large box in our driveway. My first thought was, jeesh, all I can *remember* ordering recently was a gym top from LL Bean. Way too big of a box for that. It seemed like a Mike order, but that theory went out the window when I checked the label. It had my name on it. Then I spied the word COLEMAN on the side and instantly knew what it was! Dylan and I had it set up in 20 minutes (patting myself on the back). We had to run out to the vet, and were able to completely surprise Mike and Morgan when they got home. Mo and I headed to the barn for her Friday night ride, and we came back and decided it was a rare HOT end of May day (it was 92 degrees) and it would be a perfect night to camp out. So, we picked up stuff to make s'mores, lit a fire in our fire ring, and settled in for the night. We turned in around 9 when it was starting to get dark. It took a few tries before we realized we had to separate the kids - one on each side of us if we were going to get any sleep. Then Dylan started. Despite being snuggled up right against me, he wasn't so sure of his new surroundings.
Dylan: "Mom, this is scary out here."
Me: "It's okay bud, Mom and Dad are here."
Dylan: "Yes, but I hear... things."
Me: "It's fine Dyl. In addition to Mom and Dad, you also have Diesel here."
Dylan: "But what about the bear?"
Me: "They don't come in the back yard Dylan."
Dylan: "I don't like it here, I want to go into my bed."

And that was the end of MY camping night - Dylan and I headed for the house. Mike and Morgan did just fine outside. Sigh. I guess we can try again toward the end of the summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I'm camping ANYWHERE where the word 'bear' can be used. lol! I'm with Dyl! Glad you guys had a nice family night! Sounds wonderful......