Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tuesday 10

This Tuesday..... Ten Things I Thought I'd Never...

1. Say.
I find myself telling my kids things my Mother would say to us as kids. "Don't leave the refrigerator door open. Do you think we own the electric company?". "For the Love of Pete....". Who is Pete anyway? Whomever he is, he has a lot of love in this house.....

2. Do. Complete a triathlon. Six years ago after the birth of my son I was a whopping 170 pounds of overweight blubber. I could barely keep up with my Mom on her power walks. Run a 5k? Are you kidding? Ride a bike longer than a mile? Me? Well, today I can say... YES.... bring it on.

3. Like. Salmon. And other grown-up wordly things that you would never consider as a young adult. Dark chocolate is another one. Yummm....

4. Wear. Capri's. I love them. I wear them as soon as the snow melts until it begins to snow again. Well, with a brief break for shorts when it hits 90. I have freaky long legs (33" inseam) and most of my pants were floods when I was a kid. Deliberately wear floods? Until a few years ago, no way... but now? I live in them. I even roll up pants to look like capris. :o)

5. See. Prince Edward Island. Not exotic, but one of my new favorite spots. Located just East of New Brunswick Canada. I forgot how long the bridge is to get there. I do remember it cost something crazy like $50 to cross it when we had our trailer. We are going back again this summer. Red sand beaches. Ocean water almost as warm as New Jersey. Windmills that generate power. I'm sure there are many other things that we will discover this year.

6. Do. Remodel our house. From inside out. We've re-roofed, re-sided (okay, we paid someone to do the siding), we put on new plywood when we found the house was covered in freaky fiberboard, installed new windows - each and every window!, we've re-landscaped, we've changed the kitchen completely. We have 2 bathrooms and a deck left on our short-term project list. I also can't wait to re-do the front walkway and steps. I never thought I'd be a DIY'er.

7. Buy. Wheat berries from the healthfood store. They are my new "staple". Soak for one hour, simmer for one hour. Toss in whatever suits your mood. Balsamic vinear. Cucumbers. Tomatoes. They appear in every salad I make, unless I'm out of them. Yummm.

8. Find. My road bike. I found it last Saturday! It should be in this week. a 57" Trek 1000 WSD. Women's Specific Design for those not in the know. It's blue. And beautiful. And if nothing else, should make me look very fast on the road. And yes, to my husband and my Mom, it *is* ridden on the road. I loved those questions. "So, where are you going to ride it?". Sigh.

9. Give up. My Jeep. I've been saying for YEARS that I wanted a Jeep to have in the summer. Because they are fun, damnit. My husband just didn't understand that one. "Why would we want another 4 weel drive vehicle? WE are going to get a sports car if WE get another vehicle".... I gave up. First and foremost, he's an only child. Which explains quite a bit. And a new quad is in our garage.

10. Understand. How powerful a Mom's love of her children is. How you would do anything for them. I get it. It's an amazing thing.

1 comment:

Mellybell said...

I want to hear more about these wheat berries. What are they? Also.....is the jeep idea truly buried? Someday maybe???????