Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Mom's Best Friiend

Whoever said that dogs are a man's best friend didn't have Diesel. I am extremely fortunate to have 2 "good" dogs in a row. Tonka, our husky mix, was the best dog ever. Diesel is right up there with him. Diesel is the most agile dog I have ever seen. Who ever thought 100 lbs. could leap into the back of a pickup truck effortlessly? Mind you, he can do the same feat with the gate closed. Whatever makes him agile also makes him FAST. That dog can run. I took advantage of a rare warm early April afternoon (65 degrees!) and came home slightly early from work. I changed into running clothes, grabbed my iPod, water and Diesel, and back out we went. I took him to the local "park" which is a winding complex of baseball and soccer fields, a playground and skate park. The road itself is a half mile one way. If you run the perimiter of the fields as well, you add another half mile in total. Diesel and I ran about 2 - 2 1/2 miles yesterday. He takes a few minutes to settle in, the first few minutes are busy nose down smelling all the good stuff like geese, deer, rabbit and bear smells. He will criss-cross in front of me trying to track. Once he settles in, he's right at my side running effortlessly. I couldn't ask for a better running partner. We probably would have been out longer/farther if I wasn't battling a horrid sore throat. Maybe next week D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Murray would pass out if I ran with him...ha! But, I get the best frieng thing! He's a huge part of our lives. Glad you have a good running partner!