Friday, March 16, 2007

Spring Snow


What a rollercoaster. Almost 80 degrees on Wednesday. The kids skipped into school wearing shorts and t-shirts. How did I know they skipped? I drive them to school on Wednesday and Friday... I have more time on Wednesday's and I walk them to the front door. We skipped. Today, Friday, March 16. 28 degrees and snow. Lots of snow. Almost a foot will be on my lawn by tomorrow morning. I say blech. My grandmother loved snow. Everytime we had a March snow, my Mom would say "Your Grandmother *loved* spring snows. And I would wonder why. I"m ready to shed my ski coat, hat and gloves for capris and t-shirts. But it is usually not this significant of a snowfall, and it melts fairly quickly. Spring snows are wet snows - the kind that stick to the pine trees. Oh Mom, stop groaning. I know they are conifers. They have cone shaped seeds. But I still revert to pine, although I do know that is a specific conifer. My lovely white pine will be lots of little logs in the spring because it has taken over our front yard. Hey - how did we get onto spring projects? Oh yes, anything but the snow. It is pretty. But I don't think my Grandmother had to snow blow her driveway. Oh yes, I was actually useful today. I helped my neighbor Clare out - snow blowed her driveway. Then my neighbor Dawn got stuck in the street trying to help her eldest daughter escape to a friends house (insert - what was she thinking???). I snow blowed the road so she could get back up the hill and into her driveway. Eldest daughter with ruined plans and all. See... I know better. I have friends. Actually, a husband - who plows and sands the road - and calls me to say "don't even think about it". Yes, he knows me well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE driving around in the snow. Especially when all the other idiots are home and off the road. Where this little rebellion / renegade comes from, I'm not sure. Maybe from my Dad, who used to sand and plow the road......

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Aw, now I'm feeling a little bad...I know you've been waiting for spring! It's been gorgeous here in OR.

I love the snow picture. :-)

Hugs, Cat