I suspect that I am not always the easiest person in the world to live with. We had a very early season heat wave (3+ days of 90 degrees!) that was just... weird. The leaves weren't even out on the trees yet. It was so freaky warm that we were able to keep the windows open at night. And that's when our tree frog saga started. Now, I'm quickly approaching early menopause and that means, among other fun things, that I don't sleep well at night. I awaken in the middle of the night to this freaking BIRD chirping away. Then I thought, self - you know better than that. Birds don't chirp in the middle of the night. Well, I did hear birds put up a horrible fuss when an owl wasn't around, but this wasn't fussing, it was chirping and it was LOUD. Grmp. I got up to take another benadryl and managed to sleep. Fast forward to warm night #2, and the chirping starts at night. I said to Mike I bet it's a freaking frog and we are NOT sleeping with the windows open. Because if mama doesn't sleep, mama isn't happy. And if mama isn't happy.... Well, Mike happens to like having the windows open at night, so this was not a battle I was going to win. So, I see him head out in his boxer shorts, t-shirt and a flashlight. Sure as shit, about 10 minutes later he comes flying back in the house - telling me to come outside. There, on our bushes by the stone fireplace is the tiniest frog you have ever seen. I said to Mike
THAT is what was chirping so loudly? He said (in typical Mike fashion), well, do you hear it anymore? So he takes the offending frogger and marches it up to the camper on the top of our property. We get into bed and less than 2 minutes later you can hear the fucker loud as day. I kid you not. Mike rolls over to tell me to deal with it and I'm getting up to shut the window. The need for an open window won and Mike gets back out of bed, goes back outside with his boxers and flashlight and once again re-locates midget frog with the super loud chirp to the OTHER side of the house. Right by the neighbors window ;o) We had a pretty good laugh next night when we heard him in the family room. Well, it's a good thing we moved him because I now hear him and a potential mate chirping back and forth while I'm typing. Thankfully I can't hear a blooming sound from the bedroom.
Now, I feel like I should be a bit educational as to this frog. I think it's a gray tree frog, native to NJ. The loud little fucker (ahem, frogger) is only 1 1/4" = 2 1/2" big. It's voice is a hearty, resounding trill usually heard in spring and fall. I guess they
trill, not chirp. Nocturnal, they descend from trees and shrubs at night to trill and breed. Well, I'm not saying up with the flashlight to watch bitty frog mating, but I can attest to it's trill.
No comments:
Post a Comment