Saturday, February 16, 2008

Life is a Journey....

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.... but rather to skid in sideways, throughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming.... Damn, what a trip!" - Author unknown

This saying hangs on our fridge. Our philosophy of sorts - that we like to get outside and be active and when you enjoy some of the things we enjoy, there is always the chance of injury. We love to mountain bike, camp, ride ATV's, Mike just loves his Harley. Hell, isn't fighting fires dangerous? Dylan has had his share of injuries because he is such an active boy. Mike's accident just doesn't seem fair. All he did was go to work. It didn't happen doing something he loved, it happened doing something he was asked to do. Yes, it was a freak accident. It could have been a LOT worse. But it is really bad. He's living on Percocet at the moment. This is the guy who always said no when his primary doctor asked him if he wanted pain pills when he hurt his back. I really hope the surgery on Monday will get him back on track to what he used to love to do. We have a big trip scheduled for the end of June to Assateague Island. I am trying to be a glass is half full person, but damn, if one more person tells me he'll never be the same I am going to scream. I'm scared too - he really is my rock. He's not romantic, he doesn't bring flowers unless it's Valentine's Day or my birthday or our anniversary. But he does wash my truck and change my oil and split wood and take the garbage out. For the first time in 15 years I had to pay someone to change my oil today. It sucked. I can't wait for Mike to be.... Mike.

1 comment:

living in PA said...

Dawn, I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how hard this is on you, Mike, and the kids right now. I hope that you guys have more answers to your questions tomorrow after his surgery. Wish I was closer and could help you out right now while he is not himself...he will be again...soon.