Saturday, November 3, 2007

Hurry up and.... wait.

It seems that every spare moment in the last 3 weeks has been devoted to the bathroom project. Nights, weekends, etc. Our neighbor came and sheet-rocked the bathroom on Tuesday night. He does that for a living, and Mike, in turn, has done lots of work on his truck. It's nice to have good neighbors that can help each other out. Anyway, we are at a standstill now. We have to wait for him to finish mudding the walls (spackle) and then the sanding before we can paint and tile. Evidently the walls get 2 layers of mud. Then 2 days to dry completely. Then a rough sand, any touch up mud, and a final sand. It hasn't been too messy, but I remember from the kitchen that the sanding part is... not fun. The white dust gets EVERYWHERE. (Mental note to close bedroom doors!) We had thought about tiling the floor this afternoon, but we weren't quite ready to jump into it after lunch time, and we wanted to be sure it had the proper curing time (I believe 24 hours before you can walk on it). I think we'll be ready to tile the floor on Tuesday or Weds night, then we can install the toilet, vanity and sink. Then it's time to tile around the tub, which I'm glad to have my Dad around for. We are switching patterns half way up the wall (and adding in a really cool chair rail tile to break it up)... add in a recessed shower niche and I think Mike and I would have really had a time of it. Mike's totally awesome in the handy man area, but patience is not a virtue of his. And good tiling with patterns takes... patience. Here's the sheetrock. For those of you who are wondering why it's green, the new bathroom sheet rock that is moisture and mold resistant is a different color from regular sheet rock. And the stuff over the tub area is cement board, since we are tiling. It's been a complicated project, indeed. Oh, and my house still looks like someone threw up in it. It's a total disaster area. And the area which is recessed for the vanity, current holds.... tunes. Most definately necessary for long project nights.

No comments: