Sunday, July 1, 2007

Assateague Island, Maryland

Just back in from our week vacation at Assateague Island, Maryland. We expected the worst of the State Park campground (someone had described it as a parking lot) and were pleasantly surprised at how clean it was, definitely more spacious than we thought, and how friendly everyone was. We had great beach weather (Sun - Thur. was in the 90's and sunny). Most of the beach photos are on the 35mm, so once I get the pix developed and uploaded, we'll have more action shots. Some highlights of our trip:

  • Dylan swam with a sand shark. Okay, that sounds too nonchalant. He was swimming with 2 older boys just past where the waves were breaking, and I looked to the left of them and saw a VERY dark shadow. I focused in and walked closer to the waves, and realized it was a shark when I saw a fin as the wave was breaking!!! I pulled the boys out and they were done for the afternoon. We talked to some regulars later that day, and they explained that sand sharks are not uncommon for the area. They also explained they are not aggressive to humans. Phew.
  • It was wonderful to wake up, look out the trailer window and see horses in your site. They got THAT close. It was also funny to see them rip through screen tents to get food people left out on the table.
  • Morgan got pinched on the hand by a crab while doing a "crab walk" in the bay. Of course, it wasn't funny to her at the time.
  • The deer in the campground are tame and come up to you looking for handouts. While feeding the wildlife is prohibited, I can tell you that the deer ate an apple out of Morgan's hand. The deer also felt like Diesel's fur. ;o)
  • A good time was had by all at the boardwalk.
  • We got chased off the boardwalk at 9pm by lightning and rain. We just put the kids to bed around 10pm when the winds started in earnest. We made it unscathed through a whopper of a t-storm, with near 40mph wind gusts. That really rocked the trailer, and flattened quite a few inferior tents.
In random order, a few pix from the digital camera.

Mike and Dylan waiting for a ride to start. Dylan has serious thrill issues, he LOVES roller coasters (and giant waves).

Mr. Dyl at the wheel of a bumper car
Future woman driver - fixing her hair for a photo while driving ;o)
Me and the kids at the bay
Hugs. I really should get a picture of when they fight too.
A horse wandering through our campsite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great vacation! Wish we were there, maybe next year!
Di

Sarah said...

WHAT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the pix and WOW what a blast. I read about this camping place in Central OH right on the lake....great place to meet 1/2 way. But what was the name of it.....?!

Anonymous said...

Looks like an incredible time! What great summertime memories! Welcome home :)