
Bunny came to Morgan on the 2nd day of her life. The nuns were holding a fundraiser - selling donated stuffed animals at the hospital. Mike appeared at lunch time with Bunny for Morgan. I do believe quite a few other stuffed animal also appeared with various visitors, but Bunny always stayed with Morgan. A stuffed animal from a Daddy to his little girl is a very special thing. Bunny has slept with Morgan for the last 8 years of her life. He has a rattle of some sort inside, and when he falls off her bed in the middle of the night I know exactly what the noise was and what caused it. The rattle also made it very easy to find him in Morgan's disarray of bedding. Because heaven forbid she go to sleep without Bunny. Bunny even goes on vacation with us!
Last night was the first night Morgan did not sleep with Bunny. Last night was the first night Morgan was invited to go to a friend's house for a sleepover. It was a very last minute decision - the girl who rides horses with Morgan on Friday night wanted her to sleep over. I said sure. We had the usual 10 minutes of craziness to get out of the house, and now we had to pack for a sleepover. We tossed books and folders out of her backpack, and in went pj's, slippers, underwear and a toothbrush. I asked if she wanted Bunny, and she stopped and looked at me. "No Mom. I don't think so." pause. "I think he might embarass me." And just like that, a small teddy bear replaced the space for Bunny in her backpack. It was a VERY hard moment for Mom. Harder than watching her handle Reggie, the tempremental horse she's had for the last few weeks. Reggie reared and bucked in the middle of a fast trot trying to go into a canter, and Morgan managed to stay on despite the fact that she was riding English. She reigned him back into a slow trot, then wham gave him a HUGE kick that said I'm not taking this CRAP from you and got him into a canter. Her instructor called her a real cowgirl because she rode a bucking bronco. I handled that pretty well. Bunny? That was much harder. It means my little girl is really growing up.

1 comment:
Dawn, this post made me get all teary eyed! I haven't had any conversations with Riley like the one you and Morgan had about Bunny yet, but I know the day is coming. And it was fun to hear about Morgan and Reggie! You write so eloquently- it's a pleasure to read your posts.
Post a Comment