Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tuesday Ten

I hate the very bitter end of summer. The end of August depresses me. The fun of summer is basically over - just like my annuals. I dread the whole change in routine of school starting and sports and the last of the horse shows. But... once I get though September I seem to relax and start to enjoy fall. So in honor of my good mood (ha!) I thought I would share the ten things I love about fall.

1. Fall foliage.
Nature's own art show. Every mid-October right around Morgan's birthday a neighbor's tree turns the most brilliant golden yellow. It's breathtaking when the sun hits it. I tell her it shines just for her birthday, and she smiles.
2. Apples. Just about anything about apples will do. Picking them, peeling them for pies. Yuummmm.
3. Warm days and cool nights. I don't miss the humidity of summer one bit of all - I love the clear, crisp air. It almost hurts your lungs when you run if it's cold enough out.
4. Fall camping. Some of our best camping trips have been in the fall. As a matter of fact, we are heading out tomorrow before the crack of dawn for New Hampshire!
5. Raking leaves. Yeah, it's hard work. We have almost an acre and lots of leaves. But I love making a mongo leaf pile for the kids to swing into on a rope swing.
6. Football. Dylan's doing really well this year, so the games are so much fun to watch!
7. Hot chocolate. Nothing hits the spot at a chilly football game like a Styrofoam cup o' hot chocolate.
8. Boots! Don't get me wrong, I love my flip flops in the summer. Probably have too many of them. I love my boots equally as much. I know fall is here when I can throw on my barn boots and jeans and not have hot miserable feet.
9. Soups. Just made my first batch of beef barley soup in honor of the cooler weather, and our camping trip.
10. Fall decorating. Not with store bought stuff, but the stuff that nature provides. Red berries like rose hips. Bittersweet vines wrapped around things. Ahhh... Earthy colors are my favorite, and fall is all about brilliant, earthy colors!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Aw, man, I wish you lived nearby--we could pick apples together and do fall crafts with the kids. :-)

Cat